County Council Commander - Mike Costello
Greetings Morrison County Legion Families,
Morrison County Council meets every other Month on the 2nd Monday.
The County Council met at the Bowlus Post on Monday, Oct 12th. As always, the Bowlus Post & Auxiliary made sure a wonderful meal was available afterwards for all who attended. The Pumpkin bars were amazing! Bowlus is a great Post and their club is open every Sunday. Please stop and Visit them when you get a chance.
It should be no secret to the scare the Corona Virus and subsequent reactions of it has caused in our communities and Posts. I encourage all of you to take all due care of yourselves and families. If you have resumed Post meetings, please be respectful of the Virus and the susceptibility some of your members will have to it.
The Next County Council meeting is December 14th in Royalton, 6:30 PM start. *Royalton Post always supplies a nice dinner afterwards to help celebrate Christmas. Poinsettia's will be raffled off after dinner.
Morrison County Legion Posts are at 75% of goal for the Oct 15th target. Outstanding job by all Posts, we finished 20% above target! Our Nov 12th goal is 65%. We already exceeding this goal date and have matched the December target of 75%. Keep up the good work maybe we’ll be at 80% or higher by November’s target.
- Our County is once Again leading the District County Councils, Our Dist. VC is also once again leading in membership results for the 6th Dist.!
- Swanville Post 313 was the first in county and first Post in the District to reach or exceed 100% memberships.They are leading the way in the 6th!Swanville is at 105%, Great job by the Membership director and Post Commander and membership.
Morrison County Auxiliary Units are at 23.5% of goal – There are some units still on the goose egg and a couple of Posts below 10%. I recognize there are some concerns and difficulties due to the Covid-19 scare, please, if you have memberships waiting to be processed seek assistance if needed. We need to see more memberships processed.
At our meeting in Bowlus many items were discussed.
- Wreaths for the fallen event at the Veterans Cemetery will more than likely be different this year due to Covid-19.We tabled donation motion until the Dec meeting in case event is canceled.
- Morrison County VSO, Kathy Marshik had some great information for Legion Members.We are lucky to have the Best VSO in the State as a Legion member and for our Veterans in Morrison County
- Urgent Care required outside of the VA – no longer requires a call to your primary care provider, you can now call 877-881-7618 instead of primary care doctor.Call needs to be made within 72 hours of the visit.Make sure you and your Family and/or Spouse have this number.
- Morrison County Veterans Service Office(VSO) have volunteers to call Veterans needing buddy calls. With the current Pandemic, a lot of Veterans may be home alone or without ability to see friends or family.These calls are a great way to keep human contact with each other.If you would like to receive a call, know someone who needs them or would like to be a volunteer to make these calls.Contact the VSO at 320-632-0290.
- Kathy encourages all retirees to provide a copy of your DD214 or MGB22 to the VSO.The VSO provides great assistance to Families and spouses of retirees during emergency situations and after a Veteran has passed away.If the VSO has your information is helps them assist your family if you’re not here.Make sure the VSO has your information and make sure your Family does too.
- Membership is always a key talking point of the County Council.Membership results for the Posts are provided by Myself and the Auxiliary is always well represented by Bard Specker with her membership report.
- The county Council Finance report was provided by Dave Stavish.* Checkbook balance is lowest since I have been involved with the council.
- 4 Posts have paid the county dues of $15, and 3 or 4 Aux units have paid.I am asking all Post commanders and unit Presidents to have your finance officer send dues to myself.You can send them to my home Post in care of me, Little Falls, Post 46, 108 1st ST NE, Little Falls MN 56345.There are some costs incurred by having the county council and we do donate to Wreaths for the fallen-on behalf of the Posts in Morrison county.$15 dollars once a year shouldn’t break any of our local Posts budgets.
- The Dept. of MN and 6th Dist. Executive boards have asked to make sure we incorporate SAL into county Councils.I think this is a great idea and welcome their participation.We aren’t a true Legion Family without them!All SAL Commanders I am inviting you to our meetings, if you cannot attend, please send a rep.
- Post Commanders please pass along this invite to your SAL.
Bingo is underway at the following Posts
- Little Falls – Every Sunday at 2 PM
- Flensburg at Herbies – Every Tuesday & PM
Pierz Auxiliary is planning a bake sale in lieu of a membership dinner this year.
Thank you for all you do for the American Legion, it’s members, their families and Morrison County
Michael Costello, Morrison County Commander
Morrison County Commander Report,
Membership data is current as of 10/1/2020
2020, Morrison County is over 73% of goal for 2021. Exceeding the October target by 18% points, All Posts are exceeding 60%. Lowest Post is Royalton at 61% they surpassed 100% of goal for 2020.
1 Post exceeding 100% of goal, first in 6th district – Swanville, they are at 105%
Our Next Meeting will be Oct 12th at 6:30 in Bowlus. We will discuss future Post events in County, notes from Today’s meeting and Memberships (as we always do)
Our Last meeting was in August in Flensburg, we were greeted by a New Commander for this Post. Roger Virnig
Morrison County has 3 new Commanders this year
Little Falls, Royalton & Flensburg.
County Membership goals for 2021
- all 10 Posts at Goal
- Increase attendance of meetings
- Attend more Post meetings within County
- Increase membership of Camp Ripley Employees
- Host 1 Revitalization event
Michael Costello, Morrison County Commander